THE TEMPLE IS OPEN! All ages are welcome to join Sunday Dharma Services in-person without prior registration.
Join us online for live broadcasts of upcoming services
CLICK HERE to subscribe for links to join Zoom services and Dharma discussions or email email@example.com to receive invitations to live internet broadcasts of upcoming services.
- Rennyo Shonin’s Teachings on Drowsiness (November 26)During this busy time of year, when a flurry of activity preparing for gatherings of family and friends is often followed by a big meal, we may find ourselves nodding off in a comfortable chair while a football game plays on the TV or friendly conversation carries on around us. Rennyo Shonin’s letter “On Drowsiness”… Read more: Rennyo Shonin’s Teachings on Drowsiness (November 26)
- Dharma Reflections and InsightsWednesday, December 6, 2023 7:00 p.m. Rev. Melissa Opel Resident Minister Buddhist Church of San Francisco Read about Rev. Opel We warmly welcome you to join us in person at the San Mateo Buddhist Temple for this Dharma conversation with Rev. Melissa Opel. To join us via Zoom, CLICK HERE and sign up for “Study Classes and… Read more: Dharma Reflections and Insights
- Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 31)Wednesday, December 13, 2023 We welcome you to join us in person or via Zoom Meeting on Wednesday, December 13 for this free Dharma Study Class. 6:00 p.m. Shōshinge Sōfu Chanting Chanting Shōshinge embodies the heart of daily Nembutsu practice in Jodo Shinshu Buddhism. Join us to experience the settled the mind through focused breathing… Read more: Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 31)
- Order your mochi by Sunday, November 26!Mochtsuki and pickup on Saturday, December 2 ORDER ONLINE Calling all volunteers! If you would like to help us make mochi, please sign up for your desired job and shift through this link: https://signup.com/go/xyqynSF. Any and all help is appreciated, and we are looking forward to seeing you all then! If you have any questions, please email SmbtMochiOrders@gmail.com.
- On DrowsinessFrom The Letters of Rennyo Shonin (Gobunsho) Fascicle 1, Letter 6 I don’t know why, but recently (this summer), I have been particularly subject to drowsiness, and when I consider why I should be [so] lethargic, I feel without a doubt… Read more: On Drowsiness
- All the Sacred ScripturesFrom The Letters of Rennyo Shonin (Gobunsho) Fascicle 5, Letter 9 The essential point of the settled mind in our tradition lies simply in the meaning of the six-character Name, “Na-mo-a-mi-da-butsu” (literally, paying homage to Amida Buddha). This means that when… Read more: All the Sacred Scriptures
- This Marvelous Human LifeThis past month we had the opportunity to gather three generations of our family at the Grand Canyon when my wife and I traveled with our sons to join my parents in celebrating their golden wedding anniversary at a place they… Read more: This Marvelous Human Life
Announcement Slides from Services
Video of Past Dharma Talk
Rev. Henry shares reflections on lessons learned on a hike with his family and the importance of looking to the example of those who have gone before as we prepare to return to more of our pre-pandemic activities.
Reverend Henry’s Latest Message
- This Marvelous Human LifeThis past month we had the opportunity to gather three generations of our family at the Grand Canyon when my wife and I traveled with our sons to join my parents in celebrating their golden wedding anniversary at a place they visited on their engagement trip 50 years prior. We had all visited the Grand Canyon together five years ago… Read more: This Marvelous Human Life