Join us online for live broadcasts of upcoming services
Subscribe for service announcements or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to receive invitations to live internet broadcasts of upcoming services.
- Obon and Hatsubon ServiceAugust 9, 2020 Guest Speaker (English) Rev. Harry Gyokyo Bridge Buddhist Church of Oakland Learn more about Rev. Bridge 日本語の御講師 桑原淨信先生 浄土真宗本願寺派バークレー仏教会 桑原先生のご紹介 Obon music video by Rev. Bridge Under these extraordinary circumstances, we invite you to join us from the safety and comfort of your own home for an online Obon & Hatsubon Memorial […]
- BCA Virtual ObonSaturday, August 15th, 2020 San Mateo Buddhist Temple Sangha members are encouraged to participate in the BCA Virtual Obon! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER See the flyer below for more information.
- Dhyāna: ConcentrationSunday, August 16, 2020 We will reflect upon the Buddhist practice of focusing the mind on a single point of concentration, such that one arrives at a mental state free of distraction. Schedule8:30 a.m. Shoshinge Sofu Chanting9:00 a.m. Taiso Morning Exercise with instructor Juliet Bost9:30 a.m. Dharma Service10:30 a.m. Dharma Discussion This Dharma talk is […]
- Prajñā: WisdomSunday, August 23, 2020 We will explore the meaning of wisdom, the working that brings about the realization of awakening by illuminating that which is true and severing the distraction of falsehood. Schedule8:30 a.m. Shoshinge Sofu Chanting9:00 a.m. Taiso Morning Exercise with instructor Juliet Bost9:30 a.m. Dharma Service10:30 a.m. 日本語法要 Japanese Language Service This Dharma […]
- Remembering Hiroshima and NagasakiOn August 7, 2020 the San Mateo Daily Journal carried an Op-Ed piece written by Rev. Adams sharing his reflections on the 75th Anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Click the link below to read the article: Remembering […]
- Virtual Bon DanceIn this video from the American Bon Dance Consortium, Rev. Adams shares one of his favorite Obon dancing memories. This is part of wonderful series on Virtual Bon Dance that features short talks from Buddhist ministers and dance instructions from all […]
- Vīrya: Striving Toward a Worthy GoalAs we reflect upon the goals to which we aspire in this precious human life, we consider the Buddha’s teachings on diligence, the virtue of making effort for the benefit of others without laziness or negligence. This Dharma talk is Part […]
- Kṣānti: Transforming Anger through PatienceWe consider the Buddha’s teachings on patience, the roots of anger, and how festering resentment poisons our relationships and communities. With deepened self-awareness, we look to the light of the Buddha’s wisdom to transform our minds. This Dharma talk is Part […]
Video of Recent Dharma Talk
Reverend Henry’s Latest Message
- Returning HomeIn Japan, Obon is traditionally one of the busiest travel seasons, as family members who have moved away from their ancestral hometown will travel great distances to return home during Obon. At the San Mateo Buddhist Temple too, there are many Sangha members who return to the Temple and reconnect with the Sangha each year during Obon odori dance practices […]