Join us online for live broadcasts of upcoming services
CLICK HERE to subscribe for service announcements or email email@example.com to receive invitations to live internet broadcasts of upcoming services.
- Young Adult & Youth Sangha-led Dharma ServiceJanuary 17 We welcome you to join us from the comfort and safety of your own home for our San Mateo Buddhist Temple Zoom Dharma Service on Sunday, January 17. This Sunday our service will be led by our Young Adult and Youth Sangha members. San Mateo Buddhist Women’s Association Corresponding Secretary Juliet Bost will […]
- Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 4)Wednesday, December 9, 2020 This month we learn about the origins of our practice of reciting the Nembutsu as expressed in the following lines from Shōshinge: In five kalpas of profound thought, he embraced this Vow, Then resolved again that his […]
- Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 3)Wednesday, November 11, 2020 This month we learn about the Primal Vow of Amida Buddha, which is the heart of the Jodo Shinshu teaching, as we consider the following lines from Shōshinge: He then established the supreme, incomparable Vow;He made the […]
- The Meaning of 108The number 108 has great significance in Buddhism. There are multiple commentaries the meaning of 108. The following are two common explanations. Nagarjuna’s explanation of the significance of the number 108 from his Commentary on the Perfection of Great Wisdom: Human […]
- What We Do TodayAs we remember loved ones who crossed over to the Other Shore in the month of December, Rev. Adams shares reflections on a recent chance encounter with a temple member while navigating the challenges of parenting a toddler during the Covid-19 […]
- Living with Unpleasant People and SituationsWith “pandemic fatigue” on the rise, we may be growing weary of living under the cloud of Covid-19 and the many restrictions that have been placed on our daily activities. In these extraordinary times, the Buddha’s life and teachings offer precious […]
Video of Recent Dharma Talk
We revisit the story of how the Buddha conquered the demons of illusion by not succumbing to doubt and anxiety in the midst of threats and distractions, and look to his example for inspiration in our present moment.
Reverend Henry’s Latest Message
- The Light of Wisdom Shining in the DarknessAs the days grow shorter and the skies here in the Bay Area are increasingly overcast, we find ourselves spending more of our waking hours in the darkness of wintertime. Throughout the world, this season of darkness is a time when our attention turns to the light of wisdom taught by the true teachers of our faith communities. In the […]