We welcome you to join us on Sunday Mornings at 10:30 a.m. (following the 9:30 a.m. Service) for an open discussion about Buddhism and daily life. This is a great way to get to know our Sangha!
- A Passage on Right Views from Shinran’s True Teaching, Practice, and RealizationChapter on Transformed Buddha-Bodies and Lands, Section 88 Chapter Eight, “Evil Spirits” Attainment of Reverent Trust,” part one, of the Great Collection “Moon-Matrix” Sutra, fascicle five, states: [The Buddha said,] “All beings! If you keep your distance from wrong views, you will gain ten kinds of virtue. What are these ten? First, with your mind […]
- Commentary on the Buddha’s ParinirvanaCited in Shinran’s True Teaching, Practice, and Realization (Kyogyoshinsho), “Chapter on Transform Buddha-bodies and Lands” Section 71 The Commentary on the Mahaprajnaparamita Sutra states, explaining the four reliances: When Sakyamuni was about to enter nirvana, he said to the bhiksus, “From this day on, rely on dharma, not on people who teach it. Rely on […]
- From Issa’s The Year of My LifeIt is a commonplace of life that the greatest pleasure issues ultimately in the greatest grief. Yet why—why is that this child of mine, who has not tasted half the pleasures that the world has to offer, who ought, by rights, to be as fresh and green as the vigorous young needles on the everlasting […]
- Letter on White AshesBy Rennyo Shonin When I deeply contemplate the transient nature of human existence, I realize that, from beginning to end, life is impermanent like an illusion. We have not yet heard of anyone who lived ten thousand years. How fleeting is a lifetime! Who in this world today can maintain a human form for even […]
- Dharma Discussion: The Difficulties of Aging (October 11, 2020)Discussion Resources From Rennyo Shōnin Ofumi: Letters of Rennyo (Gobunsho 4-4, Section 47) Song: Time Passing By by Luke Zimmerman