We welcome you to join us on Sunday Mornings at 10:30 a.m. (following the 9:30 a.m. Service) for an open discussion about Buddhism and daily life. This is a great way to get to know our Sangha!
- Dharma Discussion: Diligence/Vīrya (August 2, 2020)Click here to read about the Buddhist Virtue of Diligence Discussion Questions What motivates you to study the Buddha’s teachings? How have the goals that you are working to achieve in your life shifted as a result of hearing the Dharma and the Nembutsu? How has your way of working changed as a result of […]
- Dharma Discussion: Kṣānti (July 26, 2020)Click here to read about the Buddhist Virtue of Patience How is patience defined in Mahayana Buddhism? Three aspects[i] (1) not giving rise to anger or annoyance—not getting angry in the first place (2) not clinging to hatred and grudges—if you get angry, not holding onto it (3) not harboring ill will
- Dharma Discussion: Śīla (July 19, 2020)Please review the Bodhisattva Precepts Discussion Questions How do you practice these precepts in your daily life? Is there meaning in doing one’s best, even though one is not able to practice these perfectly in daily life? Which of these do you think our world needs most at the present moment? Honen’s Perspective on upholding […]
- Bodhisattva PreceptsIn Mahayana Buddhism, the following Bodhisattiva Precepts are commonly taken by both lay and monastic practicers to affirm their commitment to the ideals of Mahayana Buddhism: The Three Treasures Taking refuge in the Buddha Taking refuge in the Dharma Taking refuge in the Sangha The Three Pure Precepts Do not create Evil Practice Good Actualize […]
- Dharma Discussion: Dāna (July 12, 2020)Reading and Discussion Questions Passages referenced in the conversation To realize shinjin oneself and to guide others to shinjinIs among difficult things yet even more difficult.To awaken beings everywhere to great compassionIs truly to respond in gratitude to the Buddha’s benevolence. Kyōgyōshinshō, Chapter on Shinjin, Section 94