We are a temple of the Jodo Shinshu Buddhist School, which emphasizes mindfulness of the Buddha’s wisdom and compassion in our daily lives and the recitation of the Name of Amida Buddha (Namo Amida Butsu) with a heart of gratitude.
- Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 7)This month we reflect upon the following verse as it relates to our journey to the Other Shore of enlightenment: The Name embodying the Primal Vow is the act of true settlement, The Vow of entrusting with sincere mind is the cause of birth;We realize the equal of enlightenment and supreme nirvana Through the fulfillment […]
- Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 6)This month we will continue to explore the meaning expressed in the light of Amida Buddha’s wisdom through the following verses: This month we will continue to explore the meaning expressed in the light of Amida Buddha’s wisdom through the following verses: Pure light, joyful light, the light of wisdom, Light constant, inconceivable, light beyond […]
- Sangha Speaker Juliet Bost “MLK Day: A Jodo Shinshu Reflection”San Mateo Buddhist Women’s Association Corresponding Secretary Juliet Bost shares her appreciation of the Dharma with a talk entitled “MLK Day: A Jodo Shinshu Reflection.” Transcript Please join me in Gassho. “Primal Vow: If, when I attain Buddhahood, sentient beings in the lands of the ten directions who sincerely and joyfully entrust themselves to me, […]
- Shōshinge: Hymn of True Shinjin and the Nembutsu (Session 5)This month we explore the meaning expressed in the following aspects of the light of Amida Buddha’s wisdom: Everywhere [Amida Buddha] casts light immeasurable, boundless,Unhindered, unequaled, light-lord of all brilliance,
- Calming the Busy MindJanuary 3 The Buddha taught that peace of mind comes from understanding how our minds work. This week we’ll look into the Buddha’s teachings about what makes our minds so busy, and how we can awaken to a settled mind. Schedule8:30 a.m. Shoshinge Sofu Chanting9:00 a.m. Taiso Morning Exercise with instructor Juliet Bost9:30 a.m. Dharma […]